Sunday, August 26, 2012

Hawksworth Restaurant in Vancouver

I have been spoiling myself a bit lately with some fabulous Vancouver dining! 

Hubby and I had a date night a few weeks ago as Gran and Gramps were in town to babysit...wooo hooo!  It was so overwhelming trying to decide where to go...I felt like we had one chance to pick something amazing...and ALL of the places I have been DYING to try just fluttered out of my brain....too many choices and Heather shuts down.

So we decided on just starting off with a drink at the lounge of the Fairmont Pacific Rim which is an absolutely sumptuous hotel...wow.  We sipped Blue Mountain bubbles and slurped back some cool Oysters.  Divine way to start the night with my hubby.  After that, the only new restaurant that I could think of that I had wanted to try was Hawksworth which apparently we were really lucky to get a table at, as none of my pals have been able to get a reso.  We went spur of the moment for a late dinner, and were lucky I guess.  Beautiful room...you just feel wealthy being there....we sipped more bubbles while we waited for our table.  It was hard to decide on food, as everything sounded just splendid...but we settled on the caramelized squid to start, which was a smallish plate...but loaded with flavour and Ivan devoured the Rack of Pork...the largest dish on the menu (so the server said). It was fabulous.  While I opted for something lighter, (why I don't know.....breastfeeding seems to require the appetite of Andre the Giant) the Sablefish was equally delish. 

It's a pricey restaurant...but worth going once I think.  I like that there are many different components to each of their dishes, and each separate component somehow seems to really tie the whole dish together.  ex... generally I wouldn't think to put shiitake mushrooms with yams...but it works. I don't know why...but when I go to a "fancy" restaurant I really want them to have warm bread on the table with soft whipped butter. ...unfortunately Hawksworth does not share my version of fancy.  Maybe my idea of fancy is wrong...or sounds like going to the Keg (I really do like their damn bread there...nothing else, but the bread)....so because I had ordered a "lighter" dish...and by light, I don't mean small...this is not one of those places that serves you three peas for $40.00....but the sable fish was more like a soup, and I did leave feeling like I could eat more....if you are breastfeeding...order the pork hahaha...anyway, I could have certainly enjoyed a bit of nice bread at the table as well.

All in all, a fabulous evening was had, and I hope if you go, you certainly Enjoy!


No comments: