Thursday, August 23, 2012

A world of Distraction

I can't believe my little boy is already 10 months old...where has the time gone?  Sound like a familiar statement from every single parent you have ever met...it does to me.  I went to lunch today with some industry friends I used to work with today.  We went to the Boathouse on Kits beach...always good/average food...but wow, what a beautiful location. 

10 months ago, when I used to meet industry folks for lunch, I would rush into the restaurant, most likely coming from another meeting...I would barely see where I was walking, because I would be desperately trying to type out a message to some client in a panic, and if they didn't get an answer asap the world would really actually end.  I would try my best to focus on lunch and the person I was sitting with but I often would have this nagging urge to check my blackberry.  As soon as my companion went to the bathroom, I would whip out my bb, like some addict and quickly scroll through the messages...whats urgent...who needs a call....shit that person is sooo important, I gotta call them back asap.

Lunch companion returns..."would you excuse me I gotta make a call" Ahhhh...I feel much better now that I have resolved this issue....I've had my "fix"  Now I can relax and enjoy lunch. My hair was tied back, my suit was on straight and my heels were too tight...the quintessential business woman.

Today, well....today was just slightly different.  One of my industry friends is also on Maternity leave and so we brought our babies along for this lovely luncheon with our industry non-maternity leave girlfriends.  Somehow, I don't feel like I got to catch up with any of them....

Dutch and I arrived at the restaurant 15mins early...because, well because that's what worked best with our schedule.  We walked along the beach until he started to fuss....I was looking pretty cute in my bright orange denim and slinky stripped shirt...no one would have even noticed a baby strapped to my chest in the fluorescent green Ergo Baby.  He starts to fuss...we head inside...I try walking around the restaurant to keep him calm...not calm...not calm at all...Okay...I wanted to save "the boob" for when the girls arrive...but he is absolutely not interested in my plan at all...he is saying...eff you mom, I don't give two shits that you are meeting your fancy ass friends for lunch...give me that effin boob pronto!  Okay FINE child...insert boob here.

Ah peace and quiet...I enjoy the view for a few moments before my girlfriend and her baby arrive...We have a few seconds to say hello, then she has to get her little girl sorted out.  Then the other gals show up...Dang, Dutchie is finished already!  We start trying to catch up, but both babies start to fuss....I lay out a variety of carefully chopped up bits of food on the table in front of Dutch...he starts shoveling...there are bits of broccoli in his eye and on his shoulder and about 50 scraps on the floor...3 second rule...ummmm lets make it the 2 minute rule....clearly I have no sanitation issues....gotta build up that immune system right????

Its so lovely to see the girls...but they are on their bb's most of the time....one gal with her bluetooth glued to her pretty little head, ready to take that next call....and calls there were.  We were all distracted with our own stuff.  It was so surreal...I have only been away from the industry for such a short time...and now I have this tiny little monkey who brings me more joy than anything sucking up every ounce of my attention at this luncheon...but I am grateful...grateful that I have had the opportunity to step out of that role I have had for the past 8 years, and step into this new role....the most rewarding and challenging of my life....it can only make me a better person, and better at everything I do.  A welcome distraction indeed.

Enjoy!

No comments: