Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Inducing Birth VS. Nature

So it turns out being over your "due" date is a bit of an emotional roller coaster.  I really didn't think it would be an issue as I figured the baby would be here by now (11 days past due date), but now doctor is talking induction...actually we are thankful it was a long weekend holiday because our date to talk induction would have been yesterday, but doc wasn't working.  I just don't see how the medical system can say that after 10 days a women must be induced....this leaves no room for nature to take its course...no room for differentiation, no room for anything....and assumes that all babies and moms are the same. 

We booked an appointment later in the week with our doctor to give ourselves a bit more space and time and to allow nature to take its course.  I really do not want to be forced into labour via drugs....it just seems wrong...especially when baby and I are doing just fine.  I may sound confident in my decision...however, it is OTHER people who are spewing their thoughts and beliefs, worries and fears onto me which is playing a larger toll on my mind than I realized.

I only came to acknowledging this because I had a major cry yesterday after hearing people say negative things....worrysome things about what I should do...or that I should be concerned....the lady at the grocery store today even put in her two cents....and because my brother is a doctor and we believe in completely opposite ends of the medical spectrum it lead to a very uncomfortable and emotional conversation for me.  I know he is just concerned and being that he is a doctor, would only get his information from other doctors (as he is a surgeon...not a obgyn) who follow the medical law and said that I should be very concerned at this point.

I got some major reassurance from our Doula last night, that she has clients who have gone up to 21 days past their due date and that for a first time Caucasian mom, this is totally normal.  So I went for some acupuncture today and got some herbs from Gaia Garden and some lovely words of wisdom.  The sweet, older gentleman who owns the store is so knowledgeable and he suggested Blue Cohosh Root to help get things going...he gave me some info to read about and apparently it has been used for hundreds of years to stimulate birth and to relax the uterus and act as a pain suppressant so it can be taken during labour as well.  He told me about his daughter who has taken this root for each of her four births and each baby was delivered naturally and beautifully...these are the words I needed/wanted to hear....I love hearing about positive birth stories and this was one for sure.  He said whatever I do, do not let them induce me medically...to adjust the dose of the Blue Cohosh accordingly if the doctor really starts to put the pressure on.

So tonight after another good cry in my Ivan's arms, I ate some delicious lasagna I had prepared, and relaxed in a soothing bath with candles and soft spa music and I am feeling much better.  I just wish people and their opinions would leave me alone and let this baby and me do what nature intended.  Funny, the only women who seem to totally get it is are those who had babies 30+ years ago....who never had the option of inducing, and allowed babies space and freedom to come when they pleased....now women are on a schedule...a schedule that say's we know better than you and your body and all women are the same.  Funny that they allow for pre-mature births...I am surprised that they don't give you meds to keep the baby in longer if they don't feel its ready....probably the next thing to come....and would actually be more beneficial because there are so many more negative risks associated with pre-mature births....not really heard of many (or any) with babies being over their due date.

Anyway....just a little vent here...I know people only mean well....I just want what is best for me and my baby and deep down I don't believe that is a drug induced labour and birth.  I am so happy that Ivan and I are on the same page about this...and he has been such a huge support and my calm rock...he fully believes that my body knows what to do.  He switched off all of the phones tonight so I wouldn't be disturbed and soon I will go to sleep and hope that baby comes tonight.  Although tomorrow there is meant to be a full moon and apparently many babies are born on the occasion of a full moon....so I feel the time is near.

Until then I shall shut my mind off to others, and trust my instincts and just enjoy.

No comments: